
As you know, my parents spent a year serving on behalf of the Network of International Christian Schools (NICS) in La Paz, Bolivia. They left the US in July of 2010 and returned in June of this past year. Below is what I read to my parents and our guests at the open house Jody and I hosted for them this past summer. I thought I would share it with you so you can see how the Lord worked through my parents while they were in South America. The pictures are from my trip to Bolivia in the spring. We had a great time and it was awesome to see exactly what my parents were doing and where they were living.
Reflections on my parents La Paz Adventure
I remember distinctly my mom first telling me that they were thinking of going away for a year. My thoughts were those of self focus and self pity. I was thinking, “I will never get to talk to them” and “ my kids are going to change so much while they are gone.” I was focused on myself and did not think at first that God must have big plans in store for them.
They were originally assigned to go to Argentina but at the last minute, they were reassigned to go to a place that I had never heard of, La Paz, Bolivia. Right after I found out, Kent quickly googled La Paz and we found out that it was the highest international capital city and had the highest airport in the world at 13,300 feet. I thought, “God, this is not in my comfort zone. My dad has asthma and with the altitude, he isn’t going to be able to breath. Why are you sending them there?”
They did not waver and stayed firm. They answered God’s call and moved to La Paz last July. They adapted to living “on the mountain” as grandma likes to call it and settled into life doing God’s work.
Then December came and grandpa got sick. Again, I thought, “Why God! Why are you testing my mom like this? She answered your call and is doing your work and you are taking one of the most important people away from her right in the middle of it?” The timing did not make sense to me. At first I thought that she needed to stay home second semester and grieve with our family. Again my thoughts were on what sounded best to me and what I thought must be best for mom.
It was hard, but mom and dad stayed the course and returned for second semester in Bolivia. Jody, Nanny and I had the opportunity to travel there in May and see exactly what they were doing. What a great trip we had! It was one I will never forget.
I tell you all this to say that I have found out why they were called to Bolivia this year and I now know why they stayed the course even in the midst of gut wrenching loss. This is why…..
Here are 2 notes given to mom right before she left.
Dear Dr. Tyner,
You don’t know how thankful I am for the opportunity God gave me to meet you! Thanks to you I got to know Jesus. Before I met you, I believed God did not exist….that there was no one who died for us. I thought this was another story made up by another man. However, there is an unmeasurable love that no one can explain. And I come to feel this love listening to you and thank to you! I really thank God for meeting you. Thank you for everything. Miko
Dr. Tyner,
There are not enough words to tell you how much you mean to me. Thank you so much for showing me the right path to follow in life, now I am sure that I have accepted the Lord in my heart and that my life has changed for the best. I don’t know if God has a plan for me to go to Taylor University, but I hope to see you really soon. I love you so much. Thank you is not enough as I said. God bless you. Tami
So, to you mom and dad I say, Thank you for showing us what it looks like to say yes to God’s call and also to stay the course even when it is not easy. You have showed me that this world is not our home and we are called to do God’s work. I am blessed to be able to tell me boys that their grandma and grandpa obeyed their heavenly father. I am also thrilled to know that I have at least 2 more sisters in Christ because they saw Him in you.
No comments:
Post a Comment