Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Tribute to 2309 Valley Ave.


This weekend, my parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, etc. will be sorting through and emptying out my grandparents (mom's side) home. I thought that I was OK with the idea and that I had processed it and come to peace with it but my mind is full of emotion and my heart is heavy as I think about them sorting through every drawer and closet and being filled with memories from their childhood and of their dad, my grandpa Skip, who passed away this past Christmas.

I thought I would take some time to share with you what this house means to us.

It isn't just a house, it is a home. It was built by my grandpa and is the only home my mom and her three siblings ever lived in until they left for college.

It overflows with grandma type things including lots of ceramic angels, peach lacy things and lots of pictures of grandchildren all over the walls.

It is where our whole family would gather for Christmas Eve every year and it is where my most special Christmas memories were made. The hours we spent in that house on Christmas Eve were some of the most magical hours of the entire year. Usually someone would dress up as Santa and ring the doorbell and give each grandchild a gift and that would start the gift opening festivities.

Hours were spent in my grandparents basement playing ping pong, pool table, basketball, darts, etc. My cousins and I would think up skits and act them out for our parents and they often included roller skates and dress up outfits.

My grandma was an amazing housekeeper and still is. There is nothing ever out of place in her home. If you drop something or move something she is right behind you to pick it up or put it back. She is the type of person who has a hard time sitting down and her house is living proof of that. She is a hard worker and it is sad to think that the days of watching her "keep" her precious home are over.

My grandparents home is where I told my parents that their first grandchild was on the way. It was during our Christmas Eve celebration in 2005 and it just felt right to share such special news in that setting.

The memories I have of that home are so sweet. It is hard to grasp that they are over. I am sad that my grandpa had to get sick and die. I am sad that I won't hear his voice on the phone telling me that he thinks of us everyday but even in my sadness, I am quick to remember that my grandpa Skip is with Jesus and there is no greater place to be! Praise God!

The pictures below are some that I took this past Christmas Eve of their home. They are special pictures to me and I will treasure them especially knowing that the house will soon be sold.
This picture of my grandma hung in their basement beside their washer and dryer. It has been there as long as I can remember. I think it is great that he kept this picture up of her.
My grandpa's clean shirts were always hanging under the basement stairs. Grandma made sure all of grandpa's needs were met. She was a great housekeeper and made sure grandpa had everything he needed.
My grandpa's work bench. He could fix anything.
The basement. This was the place to be for me and my cousins. I am glad that my boys got to experience grandpa's basement.
The kitchen table. This is where Jody and I ate our breakfast every morning before Grandpa took us to school.
Grandpa hung pictures of the grandkids and great grandkids on the cabinet in their kitchen. They were proud grandparents!
Grandma's costume jewelry collection. She has more clip on earrings than probably anyone else! This is part of what makes her who she is....bling!
I love how grandma had a picture of grandpa on her dresser next to her jewelry.
These two pictures hung on the walls. The above is at my uncle's wedding I think and the below is a drawing of my grandpa in his Korean War uniform.
My grandma loves angels. These are some of her Christmas ones.
Every grandchild had a stocking that hung on the chimney every year. The names were put on by grandpa. Every year it was tradition as to what would be inside them....lifesavers, $5 to McDonalds, $5 to Wendy's, Juicy Fruit gum, M & M's and a disposable camera for the younger kids. They loved taking pictures with their cameras on Christmas Eve.



3 comments:

  1. Such precious memories, and so well described. In my mind, I can picture you playing in your grandparents' house. Thank you for sharing your memories. MB and Roy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your memories. I'm so glad God put wonderful grandparents in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute. I loved looking at all the pictures. You did such a great job of capturing the house and grandma and grandpa in just a few pictures. It was a very bitter sweet day with many tears but a lot of laughs too. You would not believe some of the things we discovered!

    ReplyDelete