Will knew who Ben Carson was before I did. He had somewhere learned about him being a brain surgeon a while back and started talking about him. His fascination grew and grew. It wasn't long before I put two and two together that he was talking about one of the presidential candidates for the upcoming election.
Ben Carson made a stop at the Mardel Christian bookstore in Edmond for a book signing so we decided to take Will out of school so he could see him in person and get his book signed.
The whole experience was CRAZY! The line outside the store started super early and I got there 1.5 hours before Will or Ben Carson arrived. My mother in law picked Will up from school and brought him to me where he joined me in the long line.
The coolest thing about the whole experience is that Mary Beth arrived to drop Will off right as Ben Carson was getting off his bus so Will got to see him walk into the store.
Overall it was a good experience and one I know Will will remember but unfortunately, once the line started moving, it moved really, really fast so the time you got to "meet Ben Carson" was extremely rushed so much so that it was over pretty much before you realized it had begun. I was kind of frustrated at home aggressive his staff was at getting you through the line and wished that Ben could have taken the time to say hi to Will instead of just quickly scribbling his name on the book.
A couple weeks later, I saw on Facebook that Ben Carson had made a statement saying that he wasn't happy with how his book signings had gone and how quickly the people were pushed through the line. He said that going forward, he was going to sign fewer books and take a little more time with each person. I was happy to hear that after what we had gone through. It was fun to experience this with Will as he met not only a presidential candidate but someone that he admires and looks up to.

No comments:
Post a Comment